http://www.funwiththefitzs.blogspot.com/

7.15.2011

Fabric Flowers: inspiration & tutorial

Here was my inspiration! These are cute yo-yo flowers that I am going to make out of fabric with patterns and colors that are our wedding colors. Hopefully they will look just as cute as these!

These flowers require:
* fabric
* fabric scissors
* thread
*needle
* seam sealant or fray check
* circle templates
* sharpie or marker


Before I went out and spent money on fabric, buttons, etc. I went to the costume shop here at Interlochen and got scraps (well mr. F went and got me the scraps, so sweet :) ) of fabric to try this out.

While waiting for Mr. A to bring the scraps of fabric, I made and cut out circles in varying diameter. When he arrived with the fabric, I traced some circles onto the fabric and cut them out. Here is one example:

Once I cut out a few, I took my fray check and put it on the edges of the circle. This helped to keep the fabric from fraying. I am going to sew close to the edge of the circle, and I definitely don't want my flowers unraveling on me! While those were drying I threaded my needle and knotted the end. I then did long stitches all around the edge of the circle. I pulled the thread so that the fabric gathered. It looked something like this:

I pulled the thread tight to create a circle In the middle where all the fabric gathered. I made sure the string as tight, knotted it off and cut off the extra thread. It looked kind of like these!

Once I knew it looked pretty good, mr. F and I went out and bought fabric that went with the wedding colors. I traced, cut out and sewed the single circles or petals. Here is a bunch of those petals so you can see the colors and what they look like.

After I had sewn all the petals i sewed the petals together and added blue buttons. The buttons are the stamen of the flower. Here are some finished ones! I hope you can enjoy these flowers as much as I did! They are so easy to make and not very expensive. I will be adding stems later and will let you know how they turn out. Bridal bouquet is on it's way!

0 comments:

Post a Comment